Among the inflammatory diseases of the genitourinary system, cystitis occupies a special place. Very often the disease affects pregnant women, whose immunity is under severe stress due to the situation. Treatment of cystitis during pregnancy is the key to the health of the woman and the unborn child.
Why cystitis is dangerous during pregnancy
Pyelonephritis is the most dangerous and common complication of advanced cystitis. This condition requires compulsory hospitalization and hospital treatment. Of particular concern to pregnant women is whether cystitis can be dangerous for a child.
Consequences for the child
Despite the fact that the fetus is reliably protected from external infections with the amniotic bladder, with an advanced form of cystitis, the following consequences for the child occur:
- Premature birth or miscarriage.
- Water leak.
- Intrauterine infections.
Consequences for a woman
It is important to understand that without treatment, cystitis becomes a chronic form, which is difficult to get rid of. Possible consequences also include:
- inflammation of the kidneys;
- bladder damage;
- inflammation of the mucous membrane;
- urinary incontinence;
- empyema of the bladder;
- ulcerative cystitis.
Chronic or acute cystitis in the early stages of pregnancy, if left untreated, becomes the cause of serious pathologies in women, and in later stages it causes premature birth.
Symptoms of the disease
Among the most common and visible symptoms of cystitis during pregnancy are:
- A discoloration of cloudy or pinkish urine.
- The presence of mucus or drops of blood in the urine.
- Pain when urinating. Particularly severe cramps occur in women at the end of urination.
- Constant need to empty the bladder. Sometimes these cravings are false or accompanied by the release of only a few drops of urine.
- Pain in the bladder that will get worse if you press on the area.
Sometimes the symptoms of cystitis during pregnancy are confused with the physiological changes associated with the pressure of the uterus on the bladder. It is important to monitor your feelings and visit a gynecologist in a timely manner, who can make the correct diagnosis.
Treatment of cystitis in pregnant women consists of a complex of drugs, each of which is selected exclusively by the attending physician. In this case, the doctor takes into account the extent to which the benefits of the treatment will outweigh the possible risks to the fetus. Throughout therapy, a woman should be observed by a gynecologist and tested regularly. Only in this case can cystitis be completely cured.
Early treatment of cystitis
It is important to understand that the earlier the treatment is started, the better the end result will be. In pregnant women, treatment for cystitis includes the following:
- to take pills;
- compliance with the alcohol consumption regime;
- the appointment of a special regime;
- the use of folk recipes and techniques.
In the first week
Cystitis in the early stages, especially in the first week, is often confused with the manifestations of pregnancy. Therefore, many women ignore the manifestation of the disease until it becomes chronic or complications arise. The fact is that at the beginning of pregnancy, the enlarged uterus begins to press on the bladder, causing a feeling of overflow and a desire to urinate. However, along with the inflammation, pain and a burning sensation are added to this symptom.
If cystitis was noticed during the first week of pregnancy, experts try to find "gentle" therapy. The main methods include:
- Prescribe medication. Basically, preference is given to uroseptics on a natural basis.
- Compliance with the alcohol consumption regime.
- Respect for personal hygiene.
If a pregnancy whose 1st trimester is complicated by inflammation of the bladder can be terminated, the woman is hospitalized.
In the first trimester
As in any other case, the treatment of the disease begins with a diagnosis that allows you to identify the causative agent of the inflammation. After that, the doctor chooses a treatment regimen. It is important to understand that at first it is necessary to be extremely careful when choosing drugs, since there is a high risk of miscarriage. In general, the set of activities is practically no different from those appointed the first week. First trimester cystitis should not be overlooked.
Remember:self-medication for cystitis during pregnancy is unacceptable, especially with the use of pharmaceutical preparations. Such measures constitute a direct threat to the life of the unborn child.
Treatment of the disease in the later stages
In the third trimester, as well as in the first weeks, it is important to select the drugs carefully. Some of them may contain substances that can cause uterine contractions. The treatment regimen at later stages is as follows:
- take antibacterial drugs;
- compliance with the alcohol consumption regime;
- the use of herbal uroseptics;
- the appointment of painkillers and antispasmodics, if necessary.
In some cases, a woman is offered to go to the hospital in order to minimize the risk of complications.
How to treat
To get rid of the disease, it is mandatory to apply:
- Auxiliary drugs such as analgesics or antispasmodics.
- Traditional medicine.
Important:the selection of drugs during pregnancy is carried out exclusively by a doctor on the basis of an examination. If a specialist offers a woman hospitalization, in no case should you refuse this opportunity.
Drug treatment during pregnancy involves combining several groups of drugs at the same time. This measure not only destroys the pathogenic microflora, but also minimizes the risk of relapse. Before starting treatment, be sure to consult a doctor who will tell you what you can take and why you should not.
To suppress the pathogenic microflora in cystitis and faster recovery, antibiotics are needed during pregnancy. In addition, they are irreplaceable if a woman has an exacerbation of cystitis. Usually, during the childbearing period, preference is given to drugs with a minimum of side effects.
Antibiotics can be in the form of suspensions, powders and pills for cystitis during pregnancy can also be prescribed.
Remember:the dosage of the drug and the duration of treatment are determined by the specialist. It is important to follow the doctor's recommendations and follow the prescribed treatment completely, even if the feeling of cystitis has passed, because if the antibiotics are not taken correctly, the microorganisms develop resistance to the drugs.
The most preferred form of medicine during pregnancy. These products have minimal side effects and can be used throughout pregnancy. They work well with antibiotics and can improve their effectiveness.
Phytopreparations have the following properties:
Due to the natural composition, in order to achieve a full therapeutic effect, a long period of taking the drug is necessary. In the acute form, phytopreparations are drunk for at least 2-3 weeks. The dosage is determined by a doctor who knows how to treat cystitis in a pregnant woman.
Suppositories for pregnant women can be prescribed during pregnancy, both in the beginning and in the last trimester. These drugs are safer than antibiotics in tablet form because they do not affect the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, they are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream and start to work.
Basically, traditional medicine for pregnant women suggests using decoctions of medicinal herbs as therapeutic agents. Common recipes include:
- Rosehip decoction. To do this, you need to pour 3 tablespoons of rose hips with a glass of boiling water and cook in a steam bath for about 10-15 minutes. After that, the broth is allowed to brew for 20 minutes, strain and take ½ cup 3-4 times a day.
- Tea made from blackcurrant leaves. You can drink with cystitis at any time. To have a drink, you will need 9 tablespoons of blackcurrant leaves and 1. 5 liters of boiling water. The tea is brewed for 30-40 minutes, after which it is drunk throughout the day.
- Cranberry juice. A glass of fresh cranberries will require 1. 5 liters of boiling water. Berries are pre-crushed, then poured with water and infused for 30 minutes. For taste, you can add a spoonful of honey to the fruit drink. The drink is consumed throughout the day.
- Chamomile baths. A decoction or infusion is previously prepared on the basis of chamomile, to which are added 1. 5 liters of warm water. Usually 1. 5 liters of broth requires the same amount of water. The liquid is poured into a bath and remains there for 15-20 minutes. The water temperature should not be too high, as this can cause uterine contractions. Baths are not recommended during the first trimester of pregnancy.
Important:the use of alternative medicine methods during pregnancy is allowed only after prior consultation with the attending physician.
Acute cystitis during pregnancy
The acute form of the disease usually comes on suddenly and is characterized by severe symptoms. Factors such as:
- decreased immunity and hormonal disturbances that occur during pregnancy;
- tendency to allergic reactions;
- compression of the veins and blood vessels in the bladder. In pregnant women, this reason is most common, because the enlarged uterus compresses the urinary tract.
- bladder, interfering with complete blood flow;
- overwork, typical of pregnant women;
- Mechanical stress is another typical reason for pregnant women associated with pressure on the bladder.
To determine that you are facing this form of the disease, the following symptoms in pregnant women allow:
- Constant urge to go to the bathroom.
- Pain in the lower part, worse when pressed.
- Traces of blood in the urine.
- Increase in body temperature up to 38 degrees.
- Watery discharge with an unpleasant odor.
Chronic cystitis during pregnancy
The main reason for the development of chronic cystitis in pregnant women is acute cystitis, which has not been completely cured. In this case, a woman is worried about the following signs of cystitis during pregnancy:
- frequent urge to go to the toilet;
- pain when urinating;
- lower abdominal pain;
- false urge to go to the bathroom.
Chronic cystitis manifests itself in the off-season, when a woman's immunity is reduced. However, during pregnancy relapses of the disease occur much more often.
The main danger of chronic cystitis is the increased risk of inflammation passing into the kidneys. In this case, pyelonephritis develops, which, in the absence of help, leads to disability and even death. In addition, serious complications can occur during childbirth, including such complications and infection of the baby when passing through the birth canal.
The inflammatory process affecting the genitourinary system during pregnancy poses a direct threat not only to the mother, but also to the unborn child. Treatment of the disease during this period is carried out under the supervision of a specialist. It is important to know exactly how to treat cystitis correctly during pregnancy!